The Eagles are coming off a heartbreaking loss to the Detroit Lions. The Eagles defense started the game very slowly, allowing 21 points in the first half, but recovered to hold the Lions to 45 total yards and three points in the second half. Wentz and the offense were slow to start, but took the lead late in the fourth quarter. The Eagles eventually fell to the Lions 24-23
This week they travel to Washington lead by the 20 million dollar man Kirk Cousins. Cousins has been hot and cold this season, but seems to heat up against the Eagles. The Eagles have lost three straight to Washington, and a face who pops up a lot during these loses is former Eagles wide receiver DeSean Jackson. He has burnt the secondary with deep receptions over and over again, but hopefully with new safety Rodney McLoud in the mix they will control that. The Washington defense is as vanilla as it gets, they are thin on the defensive interior, but have pro bowl corner Josh Norman, who could cause a lot of trouble for Wentz and the offense. Now lets get to tmy 5 “take ’em to the bank” predictions.
- Eagles pick off Cousins– Cousins is one of the most efficient QBs in the NFL, but at times has a turnover problem. The Eagles have consistently put pressure on the opposing QB, and I see this trend continuing Sunday. This will not only lead to sacks, but causes Cousins to make mistakes. Cousins will throw 2 interceptions due to the Eagles pass rush.
- Agholor is shut down- Like I wrote earlier, Washington has one of the true shut down corners in the NFL in Josh Norman, but the problem is, he rarely moves from his side, which is bad news for number 17. Agholor has struggled to make separation consistently this season, and with Norman across the line Sunday, Agholor will be lucky to have 1 catch.
- Special Teams TD for the Eagles- The Eagles special teams have been quiet on the scoring front, but is consistently great on kick and punt coverage. Sunday I think this is when they break through. Wether it’s a blocked field goal, blocked punt, kick or punt return, Eagles get a special team TD.
- DGB for the TD- I feel like every week, Dorial Green-Beckham looks like he’s ready to break out, then he drops a TD pass. I see this week finally being the one. With Norman on Agholor, DGB gets Breshawn Breeland. DGB will physically dominate him throughout the game. DGB gets 5 catches for 80 yards and a TD.
- Wentz get hit early and often- Losing Lane Johnson for 10 games is a huge lose for the Eagles offense, because he has been playing lights out. Washington may not have the best pass rush, but they have some players who could cause trouble like Ryan Kerrigan. Kerrigan will have the pleasure of lining up against rookie Halapoulivaati Vaitai making his first start at right guard. Expect them to send the house from the right side, and Wentz will have to prove his toughness again, Wentz goes down 3 times.
Any divisional game between teams is always tough, and come down to the wire. Washington has won three straight in this series including a sweep last season. The Eagles haven;t won at Washington since Chip Kelly’s debut as the Eagles head coach. I get the feeling the defense will play angry after a crushing lose a week ago. The Eagles offense shakes off the turnovers issues, and win this week to avoid a losing streak.
Final Score: Eagles- 27 Redskins- 24